Image Map

Thursday 10 October 2013

Hello New Zealand! (38)

LET'S GO!


I had hoped my big overseas adventure would be somewhere cool... but no, it was NZ ;)
Ok Ok, people travel there all the time, but we have to remember - I was born there!  That said, it had been 1 month shy of 15 years since I had left the New Zealand and this was my first trip back.  And the trip back was for one helluva good reason - my cousin was getting hitched and I was their wedding photographer!

In Nelson!
Instead of just going back for the wedding though, I actually up and left my family for 12 days - the longest I've been apart from the kids, ever.  And the longest I have been apart from Ty since we started seeing each other.  I won't lie - it was hard being away from my babies, but at the same time it was kind of nice to only have to worry about showering myself, going to the bathroom ALONE, and just in general being able to relax.

The weather wasn't as hard to handle as I thought it would be - except in Wellington... but they have a climate of their own really.  And I probably could have done without the earthquakes that shook up the last 3 days of my trip... but it was a nice time.  I'd probably not go in winter again though!

I got to take my first trip to the South Island, the wedding was held in Nelson.  So that was pretty cool, flying in over snow capped mountains and landing in a brisk 3 degrees!



The wedding was beautiful - Jason and Sarah did an amazing job organising it all from another country.  It was a lovely, intimate, beautiful wedding.  The bridal party was awesome and so much fun to work with.  And it's always wonderful to know that your much loved cousin has found someone absolutely perfect for him.






After a fabulous wedding and a few days in Nelson with family - some I had not even met before or hadn't seen since I was as young as three - I flew back to Wellington.  It was a quick overnight stay there with a friend I've had since I was born!  I got to spend time with family friends and help them celebrate their grandsons 1st birthday.  Considering they were all around for my first birthday, I thought that was pretty cool!  It was absolutely blustery, freezing, windy and wet conditions... I even cracked out the thermals that day!!!!

I caught a bus up to my old home town, where one of my closest friends met me.  We took a quick little drive in to Otaki and checked out my old house.  I guess there's really only one thing that can be said about Otaki... it's exactly the same as it was 15 years ago.  Even my old house still had the frilly duck net curtains in the kitchen window!  After grabbing a pie (I ate my fair share of pies when I was back there, haha) we headed back up to Jade's 'farm'.  The real relaxation started out with Jade and her little fam, out in the hills of Wanganui.  No phone reception, no nothing... it was fabulous!  It was so nice to spend quality time with Jade and to just properly catch up.

 

We had a really nice time, and I even stayed on an extra day because I didn't want to leave her haha!  I do wish we had spent a lot more time together when she lived in Australia... but that said, we've grown up heaps and our lives have changed so much that I think now, they fit together better than ever.  I have been lucky that she's put up with me for over 21 years!!!

Jade and I on the road out from her place!!!


From Wanganui it was back down to Wellington by bus.  I spent my last few days staying with my cousin at her place.  I visited family and caught up with a couple of old friends and got to celebrate another little birthday (2 year old this time!!)  It wasn't an overly busy end to the trip though, as they bunged on a bunch of earthquakes!!!!  I was worried I wasn't even going to be able to get on a plane and come home... 

That said - I have clearly made it home!  And whilst it was nice to go to a fabulous wedding, and to catch up with friends and family - it was fabulous to come home to big cuddles and special pictures drawn by my beautiful babies!

HOME!  Finally - at the airport with my two favourite people!

No comments:

Post a Comment